uuencode(1) doesn't work?

Darren Pilgrim dmp at bitfreak.org
Thu Jun 3 23:41:17 PDT 2004

I'm trying to uuencode some data, but uuencode doesn't seem to work
properly.  I'm using FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p22.  Here are some examples:

$ date | uuencode
usage: uuencode [-m] [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
       b64encode [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
$ cat /etc/rc.conf | uuencode
usage: uuencode [-m] [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
       b64encode [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
$

Specifying a filename, rather than using a pipe, doesn't seem to work
either:

$ uuencode file
begin 644 file

After printing the begin line it idles.  A debug copy of uuencode run
with gdb shows the program stopping on the read() call trying to get
data (fread() called from the while loop in encode()).

Anyone know why?