pure-ftpd with SFTP and PureDB Authentication (fwd)

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Thu Jun 3 19:13:28 PDT 2004

If your users want a GUI client and they run Linux or *BSD, then they
can easily configure Gftp to use sftp rather than ftp. In this scenario,
you don't need to run Pureftp on your server - sftp (which uses the sshd
daemon) will do the whole job.

In Gftp, you set this up by clicking FTP-Options-SSH, and on the line
that says "SSH2 sftp-server path" type "/usr/libexec/sftp-server". This
is the sftp-server path for FreeBSD, though note that if your users try
to connect to another server that uses a different path (some Linux
distros use /usr/lib/sftp-server) they'll have to change the path.
Anyway, once this option is set, the only thing the user has to do is
click on the "FTP" icon (upper right-hand side of Gftp screen) and
select "SSH2" (as opposed to "FTP"). That's all.

All of the above applies to Linux and *BSD, and maybe to OSX as well.
But if your users are running Windows, I have no idea. It may be
possible with some Windows ftp clients, but you'll have to research that
on your own.

Maybe I haven't really answered your question.

best regards,
Robert