Issues with large files on nfs-mounted filesystems?

Jim Hatfield subscriber at insignia.com
Thu Jun 3 03:40:14 PDT 2004

I've made a large .mpg file on a Linux machine (because some
tools, such as mplex, are newer than available in FreeBSD ports).

Here's a directory listing:

>-rw-r--r--  1 jim users 4388444160 Jun  2 23:15 movie.mpg

I want to burn it to DVD but the burner is on a BSD box, so
I nfs-mount the /home partition. However when I look at the
same file from FreeBSD 5.1 I get:

>-rw-r--r--  1 jim  100  93476864 Jun  3 00:15 movie.mpg

(yes I know there is a time zone issue. I haven't worked
out how to set it on Gentoo yet).

The difference between the sizes is 4294967296, ie 2^32.

Anyone know if this is an issue with the NFS implementations
or whether the NFS protocols have a 32-bit size limit?

Even copying the file from one machine to the other
is proving a challenge! Trying to push from Gentoo to FreeBSD
gets:

>ftp> put movie.mpg

and trying to pull from the FreeBSD box gets:

>ftp> get movie.mpg
>227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,100,2,128,64)
>550 movie.mpg: File too large.

Hmmmmm.