pure-ftpd with SFTP and PureDB Authentication (fwd)

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Thu Jun 3 01:22:22 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:42:57PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:25:28 +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote
> > On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 01:40:06PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> > >

> > > FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE
> > > pure-ftpd version 1.0.18
> > >
> > > I am unable to login via SFTP using accounts that exist in the PureDB.
> > > The password is denied according to the client and there are no log
> > > messages collected in the server's log files.
> > >
> > > When I set the server's TLS option to disable SSL/TLS encryption layer
> > > ( TLS 0 ) - I  am able to log in with clear text passwords to accounts
> > > located in the PureDB.
> > >
> > > I have PureDB authentication method uncommented in the  pure-ftpd.conf
> > > configuration file - attached below.
> > >
> > > so what am I doing wrong.  how can I have SSL/TLS forced logins and allow
> > > those with PureDB accounts to get authenticated please?
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > >
> > > noah
> >
> > sftp connects to sshd, not ftpd.  So use ssh-login/pw for encrypted
> > logins and sessions.
> >

> Okay thanks for letting me know.  I am trying to allow only secure FTP logins
> but dont want general accounts for each user.  it would be nice to have
> accounts that only have FTP access and access to specific directories.  can
> you suggest a way that I can do this while still only allowing SFTP connections?
>
> cheers,
>
> Noah
>

> > GH

SFTP is for giving secure-ftp-access to users who also have secure-
shell-access (SSH), so I don't think it's appropriate for your case.
FTP-logins can be totally separated from shell-logins (with a separate
passwords-database or even virtual users on some ftp-servers), so I
think you better go on with your FTP-configuration, but then use a SSL-
aware FTP-client to make secured connections to your server, not SFTP.

GH