Need Help on Win98

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Wed Jun 2 22:09:24 PDT 2004

At 23:52 6/2/2004, Ho, Guan hui, wrote:
>I need help on how to make the routing persistent in Win98.  I have my PC
>connected to a network that has two separate routers connected to the same
>network.  One of the routers is for surfing the internet and the other is
>for connectivity to the VPN email system.
>
>I used to change the gateway and restart the PC depending on what I need to
>access.  Not a practical solution.  I now can do so by going to the MSDOS
>prompt and type in the routing command.  Please find example below.
>
>c:\>route add 20.30.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 155.123.111.9
>
>c:\>route add 195.144.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 155.123.111.9
>

>This works perfectly but only problem is that I have to keep typing it every
>time I start the PC.  Microsoft does not support the -p command on the above
>in 95/98 system.  For my XP machine, I just need to add the -p after "add"
>in both these lines and it will stay permanently even if you restart the
>system.
>
>I now create a shortcut on the desktop to point to a batch file I created.
>The batch has the route instruction in it.  All I have to do now is to click
>the icon on the desktop when I restart my PC.  Not a bad solution but would
>be better if this can be put into a startup file of Windows.
>
>Which INI file is the right one to use and how do I put the line in it to
>call the batch file?

Ummmmmmm, this is a FreeBSD list!  Next time, subscribe to:
WIN-HOME at PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM or some similar list.

If you put 'autoexec.bat' in the root directory, the commands
contained within it will execute before going into Windows.

If Windows needs to be running, take a copy of your shortcut to
the batch file and put it in:

C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\

You will know you are in the right directory because there
should be some other programs that run on boot up.

(P. S.: Say hello to the Sultan for me!)

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/