Need Help on Win98

Ho, Guan hui guanhui.ho at sheraton.com
Wed Jun 2 21:52:30 PDT 2004

I need help on how to make the routing persistent in Win98.  I have my PC
connected to a network that has two separate routers connected to the same
network.  One of the routers is for surfing the internet and the other is
for connectivity to the VPN email system.

I used to change the gateway and restart the PC depending on what I need to
access.  Not a practical solution.  I now can do so by going to the MSDOS
prompt and type in the routing command.  Please find example below.

c:\>route add 20.30.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 155.123.111.9

c:\>route add 195.144.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 155.123.111.9

This works perfectly but only problem is that I have to keep typing it every
time I start the PC.  Microsoft does not support the -p command on the above
in 95/98 system.  For my XP machine, I just need to add the -p after "add"
in both these lines and it will stay permanently even if you restart the
system.

I now create a shortcut on the desktop to point to a batch file I created.
The batch has the route instruction in it.  All I have to do now is to click
the icon on the desktop when I restart my PC.  Not a bad solution but would
be better if this can be put into a startup file of Windows.

Which INI file is the right one to use and how do I put the line in it to
call the batch file?

Thank you.

Guan

Ho Guan Hui
Reception Manager
Sheraton Utama Hotel
Brunei Darussalam
Email: guanhui.ho at sheraton.com
Tel    : 673 2244272
Fax   : 673 2234178

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.