Help: Upgrading from 4.9 to 4.10 using cvsup

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Wed Jun 2 12:47:48 PDT 2004

Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:

> <snip>
>
> The handbook said that I should use the stable-supfile
> if I wanted to upgrade to the latest stable release..

Indeed. However, if you're looking for the 4.10 RELEASE, edit
stable-supfile, find the line that has "tag=RELENG_4" and change it to
"tag=RELENG_4_10". This will get you 4.10-RELEASE with all the latest
security patches (as opposed to 4-STABLE).

> Questions:
>
> In the stable-supfile, I can see these lines...
>
> src-all (uncommented by default)
> #src-base
> #src-bin
> #src-contrib
> #src-etc
> #src-games
> #src-gnu
> #src-include
> #src-kerberos5
> #src-kerberosIV
> #src-lib
> #src-libexec
> #src-release
> #src-sbin
> #src-share
> #src-sys
> #src-tools
> #src-usrbin
> #src-usrsbin
>
>  If I comment the first line(src-all) which of the
> following lines should I uncomment out to attain the
> minimum possible download?(i'm just using a dial-up)

If you comment out src-all, always, ALWAYS uncomment src-base,
regardless of what other packages you uncomment. Otherwise you'll end up
with a useless /usr/src. On a sidenote, this goes for the ports and docs
as well. Commenting *-all requires uncommenting *-base at the very
least. But I digress.

For the minimal download that would leave you a useable system, I'd
uncomment -base, -bin, -lib, -libexec, -sbin, -sys, -usrbin and
-usrsbin, although I admit I may be missing something (or adding too
much) here, I'm not entirely sure.

> And one last thing...
>
>   The procedure that I've done before using the
> /stand/sysinstall/-upgrade....
> I don't know really know what happened in my system..
> somebody said that after doing that, he thinks that
> I'm already 80% upgraded.. and the only thing that
> might be missing in my system is the 4.10 kernel it
> self.
>
> If it is nearly correct, can I just download this
> kernel and install it instead of doing the whole cvsup
> download?

If this is correct, then uncommenting src-base and src-sys above should
suffice. Maybe you need to uncomment src-include as well, I'm not
certain. At any rate, this is a much smaller download than the above
mentioned, so maybe you should try this first?

For rebuilding your kernel, check out the handbook.

> And if this is possible.. please, I also really wanted
> to learn how to recompile my whole system using the
> cvsup... any tips about uncommenting those lines and
> the proper supfile to use will be very much
> appreciated..

Fiddle around with the uncommenting (but always leave src-base
uncommented) so that you get what you think you need, make sure that the
proper settings are set in /etc/make.conf so that you don't try to build
anything for which you do not have the sources (check out
/etc/defaults/make.conf for clues as to what kind of control you have)
and build away.

> Thanks a lot
> -jay

You're very welcome!