5.2.1 boot-install

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jun 2 06:54:22 PDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 8:21 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I have used this technique with 4.9, and it worked.  On a machine i
> wanted to install 5.2.1 on, it won't (this is a machine the 4.9
> install worked on fine).  The boot process starts, and it locks up
> ending with this in the bootup sequence:
> GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc2006560
> ad0: 19092MB <ST320014A> [38792/16/63] at ata0-masster UDMA100
> ata1-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=7f <READY, DMA_READY, DSC,
> DRQ, CORRECTABLE, INDEX_ERROR> error=7f<UNCORRECTABLE, MEDIA_CHANGED,
> NID_NOT_FOUND, MEDIA_CHANGE_REQUEST, ABORTED,NO_MEDIA,ILLEGAL_LENGTH>
> LBA=0

Answering myself for the archives..

This *should* have worked and would have worked if not for a bug I had
to workaround in 4.9 on that CDROM.  The CDROM is the only device on
the bus, and if it were set to master, I kept getting ata1-master
resetting ad infinitum; the jumper, once removed from the back of the
CDROM drive, allowed 4.9 to work like a charm.  I remembered this after
downloading and burning the bootonly ISO and having that fail with the
same error...

Once I put the jumper back in to set the device to "master", the 5.2.1
CD booted straight to sysinstall.

Something for people to keep in mind... :-)

-Bart