problem of vipw

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Tue Jun 1 15:22:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:58:13 +0800
"Hamilton" <linxx at caece.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>     I would like to add a new user into my system.
> I simply execute the vipw command from the remote machine.
> No matter how I execute vipw as root or sudo vipw, the system shows
> the error message to me.
> i.e. I execute
> #vipw  --> as root
> #sudo vipw
> vipw: pw_edit() No such file or directory

Dear Hamilton,

I would guess that this is probably just a path error. You might be able
to start vipw by just typing "/usr/sbin/vipw". If this solves the
problem, you might want to add /usr/sbin to the path (it should be there
by default, but that depends on what account you're using to log in
with). You can set the path in the ~/.profile hidden file.

regards,
Robert