DNS usage question

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jun 1 06:06:00 PDT 2004

Jay Moore wrote:
> I'm running sendmail on my 5.2.1 system, and have a number of DNSBLs set up in
> my sendmail configuration.  I am not currently running BIND (or any other
> nameserver), and therefore have configured my system to use one of my ISP's
> DNS servers.
>
> I've noticed that each attempted connection to my mail server now generates a
> flurry of DNS requests from my mail server to my ISP's DNS server.
>
> I'd like to streamline this process, but I don't really want to take on DNS
> administration. I've heard about caching DNS servers, and "tiny DNS", and I
> wondered if they might suit my needs.

As with bind, setting up tinyDNS's dnscache program is pretty trivial.  See
the instructions here:
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
(He even has different HOWTOs for the different usage scenerios)

Note one thing: if you install tinyDNS from ports, your svscan directory will
be /var/service instead of /service to comply with hier(7).  Adjust the
instructions accordingly.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies