safe mode for kernel.old

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 31 06:25:22 PDT 2004

I think you have missed some very important details. In 4.x releases
when you do a kernel compile the system automatically renames the
current kernel to kernel.old for you. There is also a kernel.generic
which is always there.

In 5.x versions the whole kernel boot process was replaced with new
method and the auto rename of the kernel no longer happens on a
recompile and there is no kernel.generic module available.   Whoever
added the new boot process to 5.x did real poor job of integrating
the new pirated boot code into Freebsd.  This should be reported as
a bug by everybody who wants the old kernel rename  process added
back into FreeBSD.

Submit Bug report.