Updating 5.2.1 Release #

Cedric GROSS cedric.gross at cnv.fr
Thu Jul 29 08:52:18 PDT 2004

> Matthew Seaman
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:37:35AM -0500, Puna Tannehill wrote:
> > Scott wrote:
>
> > >uname -a shows:
> > >FreeBSD 5.2.1-Release #0:
> > >
> > >I was expecting the release (version, revision# ?) number to
> > >be greater than #0. I think I've seen where the latest
> > >revision is #9 or so? Do I need to tell it to get the latest
> > >revision somehow? Do I need to change the cvs tag= to
> > >something else to get up to date?
> >
> > I thought the #number indicated the number of times the
> server has been
> > rebooted based upon the last time the kernel was
> recompiled.  Being that it
> > is #0, it was your first book.  Reboot the machine and
> check the number
> >  again.
>
> I believe that the #n is the number of times the kernel has been
> re-compiled since the last time the system was installed.  It's
> probably not a very interesting datum except to kernel hackers who
> need to do a lot of recompiling.
>
> What the original poster was thinking of is the patchlevel that gets
> incremented every time a new security (or nowadays: errata) patch is
> applied to any of the -RELEASE branches.  That modifies the OS name
> (ie. the output of 'uname -r'), so instead of:

So what is the diff between uname -r and uname -v, which produce for me
:

Uname -r : 5.2.1-RELEASE
Uname -v : FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jun 14 14:52:08 CEST 2004
root at bruce.cnv.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CNV_TOTAL

Extract from man page :
-r Write the current release level of the operating system
-v  Write the version level of this release of the operating system

So that's mean that there are several Release ( as relesase level) and
inside each release level there are several version level, am'I
understanding well ?

Cedric.