3COM NIC Card somehow stuck in half-on mode?

Nicholas Jackson m8905186 at ncafe.com
Wed Jul 28 06:00:46 PDT 2004

  Hello,

I have a 3Com 3C905TX Ethernet card that suddenly
refuses to work normally. I have tried turning off autonegotiate and
specifying the various media options in ifconfig but no joy. And of
course the situation has survived many reboots. The card is specified in
rc.conf properly, and it shows up in dmesg, but it is not showing up
with an IP address in ifconfig.

Any ideas?

Is there any way to debug the connection between the PCI bus and the
card? It seems to be sensing when it is plugged in to a 10BaseT or
100BaseT Ethernet, so I don't think it's dead..

Thank you,
Nick