BigApache for Windows - Why doesn't BSD have an installerpackage like this ???

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Wed Jul 28 05:16:08 PDT 2004

DK wrote:
> --- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>>All of these are available on FreeBSD too (except Mercury Mailserver,
>>which is just another Win32 MTA that I don't know about but somehow feel
>>reluctant to trust more than my Sendmail or Postfix installations).
>

> Yes, but not as ONE nice Package:
> eg: FreeBSD PORTS
> apache+mod_perl-1.3.31
> apache+mod_ssl+ipv6-1.3.31+2.8.18_4
>[snip]

Hi,

You're probably aware of this already, but FreeBSD is developed
collaboratively. I'm just a user, and have nothing at all to do with the
project.

There are a few things called meta-ports which install a load of stuff
at once - there's one for installing an *instant workstation*, for
example. If anyone had felt the need to produce one for the setup you're
describing, or indeed that it would be a sensible thing to do, they
would have done it.

As a matter of fact, the PHP port has just been made even less like the
way you'd like it to be - and for some excellent reasons, I now see. I
didn't at first but I was wrong, not the port maintainer.

You might step back a moment and reflect that you might be missing some
very important points. The arguments you made are based on things that
have, after all, been apparent to everyone always. FreeBSD is as it is
by design, not negligence or backwardness.

FreeBSD might well not be for you. Luckily, we can choose which
operating system suits us best. But until you figure out why things are
done this way with FreeBSD, and then consider the merits of this
approach, you're not going to get anywhere with it.

Regards,

Peter.