FreeBSD 4.10 pkg_add "Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found"?

Bob Johnson bob88 at eng.ufl.edu
Tue Jul 27 15:21:29 PDT 2004

> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:45:50 +0800
> From: Duggan <wayjen6 at dodo.com.au>
> Subject: FreeBSD 4.10 pkg_add "Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found"?
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> I am new to FreeBSD and am using it as linux has a problem with my setup
> that I was unable to resolve.  Anyways, I am liking what I have read
> about FreeBSD.
>
> I am a bit of a control freak and did a custom install of FreeBSD 4.10
> over the net with the required package and all the support docs.  I went
> to install links and this is what happened:

Um, when you say "custom install" do you mean that when you selected the
install method you selected "Custom      Begin a custom installation
(for experts)"?  If so, the first thing you should do is start over and
do a "Standard" install, or you will be plagued by little problems like
this until you ARE and expert.  A "Standard" install will let you
customize almost anything you might wish to customize, but will then
handle the details for you.  "Custom" install is for people who want to
do unusual things with those details.

> EJINSIDE# pkg_add -r links
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found
>
> I decide to try and do the the same to get bash and the exact same thing
> happened.
>
> I did a google search and found an identical error posted on some
> russian BSD forums, however I was unable interpret the dialog.  I also
> found other errors that were similar but with different files.  Being
> new to FreeBSD these did make much sense to me.
>
> So this brings me to the crux of the matter.  How do I find out what
> exactly is wrong? and how do I fix it?

A good first step with this sort of thing is to go to the FreeBSD web
site and search there, including the mailing list archives, the
Handbook, and the FAQ.  May not find you the answer, but it has a good
chance of it, and you will learn something useful in the process, even
if it's not what you set out to learn.

If that doesn't work, ask on this list...

> Any help appreciated.

OK.  The short answer is "Install the OpenSSL package (or port)."

E.g. become root, run /stand/sysinstall, and do a post-install
configuration, which will let you install additional packages.  There
are other ways to do it, but that's probably the one least likely to
generate more mysteries.  Installing the "Crypto" distribution might
also be a good solution.

Hope that helps.

- Bob