apcupsd vs FreeBSD-5.2.x

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Tue Jul 27 14:37:11 PDT 2004

Hi Peter,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Risdon <peter at circlesquared.com>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Tue, 27 Jul, 2004 21:00 BST
Subject: Re: apcupsd vs FreeBSD-5.2.x

> Stacey Roberts wrote:
> >Hi Peter,
> >   Thanks for the reply.

> >>have to

> >>You need to make an appropriate entry in devfs.conf for any
> >>customisation of /dev to persist beyond a reboot with FreeBSD 5. -
> >>something like:
> >>
> >>link target name
> >

> >Ah.., yes.., Do you mind checking my syntax, please? According to your
> >suggestion, I'd be adding:
> >
> >link /dev/cuaa1 /dev/usv
> >
> >to /etc/devfs.conf, and that should be it?
>
> No - look at the file, there are sample entries there:
>
> # Commonly used by many ports
> link    acd0    cdrom
> link    cuaa0   pilot
>
> So you'd want:
>
> link cuaa1  usv

Okay, I understand. And I take it that if the serial signalling cable is actually connected to (labeled) serial port 1, then the corresponding device tobe used here would be cuaa0?

> >Whislt I'm keen to try this out, could I then ask the obvious question,
> >is there some reason why in apcupsd.conf I am not allowed to simply
> use /dev/cuaa1?
> >

> I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently familiar with this software to answer.
> But it would almost certainly be less problematic  to stick with the
> suggested link.

I understand., seems to be there for what I imagine to be for some good reason.

This has been really helpful, Peter. Thanks again.

Regards,

Stacey