Random Freeze

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 27 13:40:57 PDT 2004

Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing the same problem on my dual Athlon box. The freezes are
>> totally random AFAICT, sometimes when the machine is just idling.
>>
>> I've not used any CPU-specific make options but may try setting some to
>> see if it makes a difference. One thing though, I only have
>>
>> cpu		I686_CPU
>>
>> set, not I486_CPU and I586_CPU as well, maybe that could be a problem?
>
> AFAIK, that's a proper setting for Athlons. What I recommend is you
> shouldn't play with make options before setting up a stable system
> (sorry if that's too obvious).
>
>> I'm running -CURRENT and the build I did on 8 April didn't have this
>> problem but it started with the next build I did a couple of weeks ago.
>> I've cvsup'd and rebuilt a couple of times since, the last on 25 July,
>> but the problem persists.
>
> I don't have much experience with CURRENT (and with SMP) but if you
> didn't change the config files it looks like something in the code (this
> is possible in CURRENT, right?). Only thing I can think of is reading
> freebsd-current and searching the archives. Not much from me, sorry.

I've noticed something; it only seems to freeze when I'm in X. I had the
machine up for over 30 hours at the command line yesterday whilst I
upgraded some ports, including KDE (which was why I did it from the
command line). I rebooted it when I'd finished. I've never had it stay
up anywhere near that long since the 8 April build. Some conflict
between XFree86 (4.3.0) and -CURRENT/5.2.1-RELEASE?

Also, my machine dual-boots with XP and that stays up for days at a time
so, in my case at least, I doubt it's hardware, plus I've run memtest86
and it was OK.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to subscribe to freebsd-current and
search the archives.

Regards,

Mark