Random Freeze

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 27 06:08:51 PDT 2004

Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
> Joseph Peterson wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately that is not the solution to my problem, I've run
>> memtest86 on my laptop several times and found no problems... any
>> other thoughts? =)
>>
>> -joe
>>

> Just a thought:
>
> Have you build your world and / or kernel from source? If that's the
> case double check processor-specific make options like CPUTYPE, CFLAGS,
> COPTFLAGS, etc. (they can be used from command line and from /etc/make.conf)
>
> Good luck!
>
> Karol

I'm seeing the same problem on my dual Athlon box. The freezes are
totally random AFAICT, sometimes when the machine is just idling.

I've not used any CPU-specific make options but may try setting some to
see if it makes a difference. One thing though, I only have

cpu		I686_CPU

set, not I486_CPU and I586_CPU as well, maybe that could be a problem?

I'm running -CURRENT and the build I did on 8 April didn't have this
problem but it started with the next build I did a couple of weeks ago.
I've cvsup'd and rebuilt a couple of times since, the last on 25 July,
but the problem persists.

Regards,

Mark