FreeBSD 4.10 pkg_add "Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found"?

Duggan wayjen6 at dodo.com.au
Tue Jul 27 05:45:54 PDT 2004

I am new to FreeBSD and am using it as linux has a problem with my setup
that I was unable to resolve.  Anyways, I am liking what I have read
about FreeBSD.

I am a bit of a control freak and did a custom install of FreeBSD 4.10
over the net with the required package and all the support docs.  I went
to install links and this is what happened:

EJINSIDE# pkg_add -r links
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found

I decide to try and do the the same to get bash and the exact same thing
happened.

I did a google search and found an identical error posted on some
russian BSD forums, however I was unable interpret the dialog.  I also
found other errors that were similar but with different files.  Being
new to FreeBSD these did make much sense to me.

So this brings me to the crux of the matter.  How do I find out what
exactly is wrong? and how do I fix it?

Any help appreciated.

Elijah
/wayjen6 at dodo.com.au (not a subscriber so email me directly as well as