Does FreeBSD need to be on a Primary Partition?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Mon Jul 26 11:52:17 PDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:16:55 -0700
Joe Laws <joe.laws at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I have about 10 partitions (3primary, 7 extended), I was
> wondering if BSD needs a root partition on one of the primary
> partitions.  I have heard this is the case in some of the BSD's.

Yes. What you call "primary partition" in the BSD world is called slice
and what you call "extended partitions" are called partiotions.

So for ad0s1a is:
ad0 = ide disk 0 (primary master)
s1 = first slice
a = first partition on the first slice (usually the / also called "root" partition)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html
will give you more details

--
IOnut