BCM4401-B0 card error on FreeBSD 5.2.1

Mark boxend at redtick.homeunix.com
Mon Jul 26 08:20:59 PDT 2004

You may have to build a kernel with the
"device          bge" # gig cards
"device          bfe" # 10- 100 cards
entries to build the moduals, I would have thought they
were with the base system. But I had to build a kernel
for the bfe modual to work.

Side note: The bfe entry is not in the GENERIC kernel
on 4.10 but will build and work. The bge modual would not
find my broadcom 4401.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:00:39PM +0200, Guillaume Goutaudier wrote:
> bge gives me exactly the same error message.
> And still nothing like "bge0: ..." in dmesg output.
>

> Try bge.
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 03:11:42PM +0200, Guillaume Goutaudier wrote:
> >/ Hi all,
> />/
> />/ I'm trying to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my compaq nx5000 laptop.
> />/ The FreeBSD version I installed is 5.2.1.
> />/
> />/ I have a problem with the integrated broadcom BCM4401-B0 NIC.
> />/
> />/ This is not a BCM4401 but a BCM4401-B0 card (PCI ID = 0x170c), and
> />/ the bfe driver does not seem to work:
> />/
> />/ In the dmesg output, I don't have a single line with "bfe0: ...".
> />/ Instead, all I have is:
> />/
> />/ pci1: <network, ethernet> at device 14.0 (no driver attached)
> />/
> />/ When I try to install the bfe module manually, I get:
> />/
> />/ # kldload miibus.ko
> />/ interface miibus.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'!
> />/ kldload: can't load miibus.ko: file exists
> />/ # kldload if_bfe.ko
> />/ module_register: module pci/bfe already exists!
> />/ Module pci/bfe failed to register: 17
> />/ module_register: module bfe/miibus already exists!
> />/ Module bfe/miibus failed to register: 17
> />/
> />/ I'm not familiar at all with *BSD drivers stuff so any help will be
> />/ REALLY appreciated ...
> />/
> />/ cheers,
> />/
> />/
> />/ Guillaume
> />/ /

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private,
proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately.