jails: am I missing something or..

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jul 25 09:44:21 PDT 2004

"Hugo Silva" <klr at 6s-gaming.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, so I decided to use jails instead of vmware and try to live with the
> limitations (only 1 ip address, etc..)..
>
> Well, another jail limitation is the impossibility of setting user quotas
> inside a jail UNLESS the jail has a filesystem on its own (at least this
> is the most satisfatory answer I found after googling for some hours).
> Great, so I have 2x80G + 1x200G hdds. I had a jail running on ad2, and I
> wanted to create another jail on the same hdd.
>
> To my surprise, sysinstall would complain about not being able to write
> data to ad2. I had this problem before, so I couldn't believe the cause
> was what I thought.. I unmounted the first jail and tried again.. this
> time, I could create the new partition on ad2.
>
> so...
>
> It is unthinkable to be umount'ing EVERY jail if I want to add one.

Format the second drive as one big vinum partition.  You can then manipulate
the space into different filesystems using vinum without affecting the other
partitions.  This is also nice as vinum allows you to turn non-contiguous
space into a single filesystem.  So, if you allocate 5G for a jail and then
realize you need 10G, you can allocate more space into the vinum partition
and use growfs to enlarge the filesystem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies