Interface Statistics

Angus Barrow angus.g.barrow at stud.man.ac.uk
Sun Jul 25 03:13:11 PDT 2004

Hi,
	I'm a relative newbie to the world of computer admining and have the
following problem.  I'm one of a group of students sharing a connection
which is limited (by the cabelco) to 1GB maximum transfer in any 24 hour
period.  I've been trying in vain to find a way to at least warn us if
the transfer in a 24 hour period approaches a gigabyte.

	I know that on linux ifconfig shows a counter of the total amount of
data transfered over an interface and was wondering if there is a
similar tool for FreeBSD as the ifconfig provided doesn't seem to show
this information.

	I've tried googleing in vain and have attempted to set up ntop and
zabbix to see if they could provide the information (ntop didn't want to
play and zabbix still has me beat).

	I'm running the configuration shown below:

		-=INTERNET=-

		-=ROUTER.STUDNET=-

		     -=SWITCH=-

		   -=Computers in rooms=-

The router has two NIC's, xl0 is DHCP configured and is the internet,
the other (dc0) is 192.168.1.1.  The router is running FreeBSD
5.2.1-RELEASE and drops almost all incoming traffic via ipfw and uses
natd to masquerade the connections.

Sorry about the rambling post I'm not really sure how much detail to
provide.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Angus Barrow