Are you truly a M$ desktop alternative?

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 09:31:34 PDT 2004

--- Aaron Benson <ab72 at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This email is going to any Linux house whom has..
<<<----chomp---->>>>

This is FreeBSD's mailing list... NOT Linux. Hope you
get this one.

As I believe is the summary of all that you are trying
to say:

> what can Linux do for
> us?

   As I've said above, this is FreeBSD's list, not
Linux.. But anyway, let's just say you're trying to
speak of Unix and all of its flavors such as that of
Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX etc..

Well, I can assure you these things:
   First, if you will use Linux or FreeBSD or any
other free variants of Unix let's say for your
company's server or desktops' operating system, you
can save your company a lot of money in liscensing
coz' most of these operating systems are totally
free!!
   Second, if ever you are wondering if you can still
do your office works, such as that of MS Office
applications in Unix.. well, if you can't find the
software "MS Word" in applications that were ported to
them... chances are you will find yourself a better
counter part of it. This includes any other software
that you are using in Windows(media player, Excel,
Outlook etc.)
   Third, mind you.. these operating systems are
engineered perfectly for server computers and so, if
you are planning to establish an internet server,
database server, mail server, isp server, dns server,
or any other server that you may think of.. these free
Unix flavors are what you should be considering.

 Finally.. those three things I've mentioned above can
only be possible if you have the technical knowledge
and some willingness to invest on it. Because you are
not just installing on your home pc but that whole
company of yours, you will be facing a very tough
decision and perhaps a huge amount of careful
considerations.

Anyway, good luck to you then. Hope you find this one
helpful.

-Mark Jayson Alvarez
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Polytechnic University of the Philippines
2000-2004