How to Handle the Three Newest Additions to the /usr/ports/CHANGES?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Jul 24 09:11:30 PDT 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 08:36 am, Bob Perry <rperry4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> >On Saturday 24 July 2004 07:36 am, Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com>
> >
> >wrote:

> >>I don't know about the other two, but as for the X_WINDOW_SYSTEM
> >> variable, it looks to me like it's related to this:
> >>
> >>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-July/032267.html
> >>
> >>It only applies to -CURRENT right now, but it's as easy as adding a line
> >> to rc.conf if you want to stay with XFree86.
> >
> >Sorry, that should have been make.conf. It's too early ...
>
> JT,
> Thanks for the update.  Just read all of the related messages and I think I
> can handle this.
>
> Need to pause for a moment and give myself a FreeBSD pep talk.
>
> Thanks again.

Well, that being said, I did just encounter a problem when trying to update
the ports database after a cvsup (running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 with XOrg):

smogmonster# portsdb -uU
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait.."Makefile",
line 34: Malformed conditional (${XFREE86_VERSION} == 3
&& !defined(WITHOUT_X))
"Makefile", line 36: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 36: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
===> chinese/arphicttf failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

My /etc/make.conf is:

# Created: Fri Apr 16 06:11:06 2004
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
#X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg

I commented the line with the new X_WINDOW_SYSTEM variable to see if that were
the problem, but it didn't change anything.

- jt