FreeBSD Gateway???

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jul 23 21:11:26 PDT 2004

Hakim Z. Singhji wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am building a gateway/router from a i386 300Mhz, 32MB RAM, 5GB hda and
> ~  I need to buy the NIC cards.  I wanted to have three interface
> connection points to my gateway/router. Does anyone have any suggestions
> on the type of NIC I should use?  I would appreciate some help.
>
> In addition, I'm new to BSD. I hail from the Redhat world, but I
> anticipate FreeBSD to be a great addition to my network.
>
> HZS

10/100?  There are less Gigabit types that are supported, yet,
but then the reason for that should be pretty obvious.

Anyway, you generally can't go wrong with 3Com.  That said,
I've never had trouble with 3Com, SiS, DEC/Intel, even RealTek
and the onboard VIA/Rhine stuff (drivers, respectively: xl, sis, dc,
rl, vr).

That covers quite a few chipsets.  There are plenty more.  The
only problem I have answering your post is that I don't know what's
*not* supported.  Also, some users have reported issues with "watchdog
timeout" errors using 5.X FBSD and one of the drivers mentioned above.
You could probably spot which one on Google ...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey