Questions in regards to Domain and port 80 being blocked

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 23 13:03:53 PDT 2004

Many ISP's block port 80 for web service and port 25 for email
service for their cheap phone modem dial in service. As far as I
know there is no way around the isp blocked port 25 email server
problem.

But there are ways around the blocked port 80 problem. First you
need an official registered domain name. Select an official domain
name register that has a full feathered web control panel that
allows you to change the DNS servers used to direct traffic to your
domain name. I use  http://www.enom.com/  for my domain name
register. Them you need an dynamic ip address to domain name service
company that has web redirect service. I use zoneedit. I use the
zoneedit web redirect option to redirect public access to my
www.domainname.com to  www.domainname.com:8080   and then I tell my
apache server to listen on port 8080 for web service. Zoneedit has
example of using wget program on FreeBSD to get current dynamic IP
address and updates zoneedit every time your dynamic ip address
changes so zoneedit all ways points your domain name to the ip
address you are currently using.