Packet filters

Andy Baran abaran1 at depaul.edu
Fri Jul 23 12:02:54 PDT 2004

Thanks guys :) All I really needed to know was whether the packets would
pass through the filters or not.  So I'm pretty good to go at this
point.

"JJB" <Barbish3 at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Bill's post is correct only if the firewall defaults to pass all.

True.

I guess the point that I didn't make clear (because I didn't state it
at
all) is that the firewall doesn't do anything that isn't clearly
stated
in the rules.  Even when it's set to drop by default, you can see that
a rule is added at the end of the ruleset to that effect.

> If your firewall defaults to deny all, then you need a pass all rule
> for each interface you want to pass through the firewall.

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com