How to send attached files on sendmail with mail tool?

Jay Moore jaymo at cromagnon.cullmail.com
Thu Jul 22 22:52:53 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 02:10 am, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > cat file | uuencode tgt_filname | mail -s "subject" test at example.com
>
> uuencode <tgt_filname | mail -s "subject" test at example.com
>
> instead of cat. less one unneeded piping.
>
> > > subject can be derived from shell script variables if necessary.
> >
> > Do you have to do a uudecode on the receiving end to recover the file?
> >
> > I tried this - sending a pdf file from this FreeBSD system to a Windoze
> > user that gets mail via POP - it didn't work. The filename came through,
> > and it was listed as an attachment, but there was nothing useful in the
> > file.
>
> i think windoze just can't decode uuencoded attachments right.
>
> it only supports base64 right.
>
> metamail will be useful, possibly
>
> /usr/local/bin/encode-base64 was installed by package p5-MIME-Base64-2.21

I'm sure you are correct about Windows... I guess the point I was trying to
make is that I think Base64 encoding and appropriate MIME headers are
required to be placed in the message to make it a "compliant" message. So
while this script may work in certain limited situations, it's probably not a
good "general purpose" solution.

Jay