User Accounts across multiple machines

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Thu Jul 22 12:11:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:46:57PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> Were you able to make this work well with 4.x machines?  It's been a while
> since I tried, but I had problems with nss turning UIDs back into names.

This would still be a problem, because there is no support for nss_ldap in
FreeBSD 4.x. To get LDAP working with 4.x, you would need a workaround that
translates user information into NIS or something that creates user-entries
in the local passwd file.

Support for nss_ldap/nsswitch.conf is available in FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE or
newer.

cu,
Uwe