User Accounts across multiple machines

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Thu Jul 22 11:37:34 PDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 13:23, Bill Moran wrote:
> Ray Seals <rseals at vdsi.net> wrote:

> > I have 15 FreeBSD machines on my network (soon to be around 30) and
> > want to synch all the machines userid and passwords.  Is NIS still the
> > primary way to do this or is there a better solution?

> As far as I understand it, yes.  Although Kerberos seems to be a
> practical alternative.  With 5.x, there is more support for pam, thus
> opening up your choices to things like LDAP.

Note that Kerberos only provides AAA and not directory services.

I recently (within the last 6 months) replaced my old NIS setup with one
based on OpenLDAP.  It works perfectly across my FreeBSD, Linux, and Mac OS
X machines.  NIS did the job, but I won't be rolling it out on new systems
ever again.
--
Kirk Strauser