Is it possible to migrate raid 5 array to another controller?

Artem Koutchine matrix at itlegion.ru
Thu Jul 22 06:09:10 PDT 2004

> First off, most of the people in the FreeBSD lists can get fairly upset
> when they see people cross-posting to more than one list at a time.

Sorry, i got the point. I just thought it was related to both list.
Apperantly i thought wrong.

> You'd be better off cloning the RAID array, say to perhaps a single IDE
> disk, migrating the disks to the new controller and creating the array on
> that controller, and if the machine does not come back up, clone back from
> the IDE backup onto the new array.

It might not be that easy, because it is a 1TB SATA RAID5 array and it
does not fit on any single medium or device.

At least some raid5 conrollers have an option of creating a new raid5
array without initialing it. Is this the thing you tried when migrating
disk from raid5 to another controller? As i understand metadata about
an array is stored not on the disks but in the non-volatile controller
memory, so, when migrating disk one has to re-create the array in
any case. However if controller bios software has an option to
create an array w/o initializing it and raid5 has standard specs which
all manufacturers follow then one should be able to migrade arrays
from one controller to another w/o any problems.

Any comment on this?

Regards,
Artem