Upgrades fail on Perl dependency

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Wed Jul 21 20:13:20 PDT 2004

I keep having problems with various ports. It seems a lot of them are
dependent on Perl 5.8.2 -- the dependency is specific, but I haven't been
able to figure out where the '5.8.2' is being specified. Here's an example:

===>   gtk-1.2.10_12 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.2 - not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.2 in
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
===>  Vulnerability check disabled
===>  Extracting for perl-5.8.4
 >> Checksum OK for perl-5.8.4.tar.bz2.
 >> Checksum OK for BSDPAN-5.8.4.tar.bz2.

How can I change the dependency so portupgrade does *not* recompile perl
every time? Portupgrade deletes the "old" executable, but when pkg_add
finds the entry in the database it refuses to install the executable that
has just been compiled. Or something like that. I have about a hundred
ports that portupgrade -a just leaves because of this problem.

--
Roger