Firewall, OpenVPN and Squid question

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Wed Jul 21 12:16:08 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Hillen" <PHILLEN at NFM.NET>
To: "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts at ibctech.ca>; "Paul Hillen" <PHILLEN at NFM.NET>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 1:33 PM
Subject: RE: Firewall, OpenVPN and Squid question

> I have around 100 users at our site that would require the use of squid,
we
> house are own webserver, mail server, public DNS servers in the DMZ and 2
> private DNS servers on the internal network, used by both Internal and VPN
> users.
>
> Sites connecting Gateway to Gateway, there are apprx as follows;
> Site 1 - 25 users
> Site 2 - 5 users
> Site 3 - 12 users
> Our site VPN users are Apprx 25, and about 50% of them are connected at
any
> given time.
>
> My first thought is to put up a Firewall box that can the load of
publishing
> many internal boxes and "publish" a box with OpenVPN and another for SQUID
> and just keep them all separate.
>
> Will this setup put to much strain on the FIREWALL box or will it have no
> problem handling the NAT/ROUTING in this configuration.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Paul

Considering that many of the current hardware firewall solutions aren't much
more than either a BSD or Linux kernel in a ROM chip, with a 486 or 586
based cpu, memory, and a nice gui (Windows or Internal Web interface), I
can't see why a similar system on a PC would be any different.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.