Windows X

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Tue Jul 20 22:00:54 PDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
"Joshua Lewis" <jmlewis at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> DESKTOP:
> If you are planning on this being a desktop replacement then I can
> fully understand wanting to have a cool desktop. KDE is very popular
> as well as GNOME. You can see screenshots on their respective
> websites.
>
> KDE has a cool feature that if set up allows you to pick your window
> manager on login (mind you this causes KDE and X windows to be
> running at all times). This would require reading chapter 5 in the
> FreeBSD Handbook. This is arguably you greatest source of FreeBSD
> information. It is a short chapter to read but does explain quite a
> lot. I myself had to read the chapter more then once before I fully
> understood it. Now I feel very comfortable using X. No expert but I
> feel very comfortable.

I suggest something lighter, but easily configurable. Try XFCE,
Fluxbox, Windowmaker, or the like. There are many window managers
avialable. To find the list just go to
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11-wm.html
and start browsing. :)

> The community can correct me if I am wrong but applications built
> for KDE will run fine on GNOME and vice versa. I think they just may
> not look as pretty as they use different API's or something. They
> still work they just need their associated libraries and you are
> good. Therefore, if you fall in love with the KOFFICE application
> but prefer the GNOME desktop, I don't think there is a problem with
> that (you can also install OPENOFFICE.).

Of course they will run fine, they just require thier correct
dependencies installed. ^_^

BTW freshmeat.net has a large selection of themes aviable if you want
to find alternatives to what the ports provide. :)