Your 3rd and last chance to help me with vmware

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Tue Jul 20 14:33:04 PDT 2004

Ben Paley wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> If no-one responds this time I'll get the hint, please excuse me for
> reposting, I'm just going out of my mind!
>
> I'm getting a total crash every time I try to run vmware. This is my system:
>
> bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> FreeBSD potato.hogsedge.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Tue Jun 22
> 07:07:08 BST 2004     root at potato.hogsedge.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/POTATO
> i386
> bash-2.05b$ pkg_info | grep vmware
> vmware3-3.2.1.2242_7,1 A virtual machine emulator - a full PC in a window
>
> For a while I was getting some sort of network error: vmware would start as
> long as all the network stuff was disabled, but if I tried to have a
> host-only connection (I haven't even bothered trying a bridged connection) it
> wouldn't run (that is, vmware itself would run fine, but the virtual machine
> wouldn't boot, and I'd get an error message about networking - sorry I didn't
> make a note of it).
>
> So I did
>
> portupgrade -fR vmware3
>
> and after a lot of waiting around I tried again: now I get a complete crash
> (can't even change to another terminal and kill x) whenever I try to start
> vmware.
>
> On boot, I get this message:
>
> kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.ko: No such file or
> directory
>
> in amongst all the other system stuff, but I also get this:
>
> -bash-2.05b# locate vmnet.ko
> /usr/local/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.ko
>
> even after updating the locate database.
>
> Any ideas what's going wrong?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ben

Why are you using CURRENT? Don't you know that you can expect things to
break, not work, and overall see the end of the world as you know it?

Well - maybe not the latter. Perhaps you might be better served running
a STABLE branch instead of an Alpha?

Things might work, and work better.

Now,
<Sarcasm>
This post of yours ought to go to the CURRENT list.
</Sarcasm>

--
Best regards,
Chris

ClamAV virus dat updated: Tue Jul 20 2004 at 03:02:52
daily.cvd updated (version: 415, sigs: 1033, f-level: 2, builder: ccordes)