Nessus scan of FreeBSD 5.2.1 shows old version of ssh

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 12:38:57 PDT 2004

Well if  you realy want the latest openssh install openssh from ports
(portinstall openssh or portinstall openssh-portable) you will have
to use portable to build with pam if I remember rightly.
The version in the base system does not actualy have the vulnerability
Nessus is refering to as it was patched umm 2003-10-05
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03:15.openssh.a
sc

In terms of gotchas there arent many,
Read /usr/ports/security/openssh(-portable)/pkg-message
And unless you use the OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE option I think you may have to

manualy move your existing hostkeys to /usr/local/etc and re-edit the new
Config files (I could be wrong here as it's a while since I bothered
changing from the version in base)

Vince