priority on rc script caused panic

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 19 03:41:10 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-19 11:34, Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no> wrote:
> pura life CR wrote:
> >  I added a process with high priority (nice -20) to be loaded each time
> >  system boots. It is located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
> >
> >  Apparently, the process consume too much cpu time which make it
> >  imposible to log in.
> >
> >  I cant do anything from the boot loader, because i cant cd to /usr to
> >  remove the script.
>
> Have you tried this?
>
> 1. When the countdown starts, right after the BTX loader has
> finished, press any key other than <enter> for the prompt.
> 2. Type boot -s to boot into single user mode.
> 3. When asked for a shell for root, hit <enter> (this will give you
> the sh shell). Alternatively, type /bi n/csh, then <enter>. This
> will give you the C shell, and tab completion. Essential if you are
> to do much of anything, IMO.
> 4. fsck -y
> 5. mount /usr
> 6. Do whatever it is you want to do in /usr, and reboot.
>
> You may have to provide the absolute paths for fsck and mount, I
> don't recall at the moment if  PATH is set in single user mode.

You don't need to fiddle with the PATH.  It's set to a reasonable
default that can be used even for upgrading the system with the
"make installworld" procedure.

I regularly (almost daily) upgrade my CURRENT installation and the set
of commands I use when the single user shell fires up is:

	adjkerntz -i		# allow system time updates to work
	swapon -a		# enable all swap partitions
	fsck -p			# check any filesystems that need it
	mount -u /		# remount root fs as read-write
	mount /usr		# mount /usr as read-write

	cd /usr/src		# upgrade sequence
	make installworld	#      - // -
	mergemaster		#      - // -

The last three commands update the system from the compiled object
files under /usr/obj.  The commands up to the command that mounts /usr
are more or less necessary to have a system that includes a read-write
root fs and the tools required for the upgrade to work.

--
Giorgos Keramidas             keramida (at) freebsd (dot) org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve   http://www.FreeBSD.org/