PPPoE misbehaving?

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 18 17:22:55 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:17:00AM +0200, Chris Knipe wrote:
C> Thank you all for the replies.  The card is a Senao NL-2054PCI, based on the
C> Atheros chipset... pciconf -lv reports:
C>
C> ath0 at pci0:9:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x2027168c chip=0x0013168c rev=0x01
C> hdr=0x00
C>     vendor   = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
C>     device   = '802/11b/g AR5212 wireless Adapter'
C>     class    = network
C>     subclass = ethernet
C>
C> As I did indicate, the card is working and functioning properly - I am 99%
C> sure it is a problem related with PPPoEd, or something in regards to PPPoE
C> over the Ethernet card (which, can also be possible I guess).  I've tried
C> all the other suggestions that was made, and none of them seemed to have
C> changed anything.  From what I can see, the client sends and attempts to
C> initiate the PPPoE connection properly, but the PPPoE daemon does not
C> receive the packets / or does not initiate a session - which, needs to be
C> completed before any sub processes will be spawned.

Try to activate this paragraph in ng_pppoe.c:

#if 0
#define AAA printf("pppoe: %s\n", __func__ );
#define BBB printf("-%d-", __LINE__ );
#else
#define AAA
#define BBB
#endif

I mean change "if 0" to "if 1". Then rebuild a new ng_pppoe.ko. Then
try to connect, ensure that you see PADI's with tcpdump. And then
report what do you have (or have not) logged on console.

Thanks.
C> for this.  Are there possibly any other open source PPPoE Daemons available
C> that I can possibly try on FreeBSD 5.2??

Seems like the issue is either with network driver or ng_pppoe, not with
pppoed daemon.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE