How do I mount a USB hard drive?

3BSD assadbsd at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 16:26:02 PDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:29:03 -0400, Michael E. Mercer <mmercer at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a hard drive (8 Gig) sitting around and thought I would try the
> new USB 2.0 hard drive kits. It works just fine in Winblows but I am
> unable to get it to show up under FreeBSD.
>
> 4.10-Stable
>
> kernel conf file below...
<snip>

You need to provide some additional information.

1. What filesystem has the drive been formatted with? If its NTFS, I
suggest you re-format the drive using FAT32 because you don't have
NTFS support in your kernel config, and even if you did, the drive
will not be of much use to you in FreeBSD as NTFS support is not all
that great.

2. What's the mount command you're using to mount the drive? I use the
following to mount my external USB2 drive:

# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt/ext

And it works perfectly with both USB and FireWire, better under
FireWire, if you ask me. ;-)

-Assad