postfix, smtp-auth, Cyrus SASL for relay restriction troubles.

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Sun Jul 18 09:54:21 PDT 2004

Heya Tim

Tim Schutt wrote:

> Hey Remko,
>
> Good catch! You were right that postfix didn't have access to the
> database. But this is still bizarre.... now when I do the login, it
> doesn't report that it can't access the database, but states that
> there are no users in the database.

:-) good

> Jul 18 12:40:55 www postfix/smtpd[21129]: warning: SASL authentication
> failure: no user in db
> Jul 18 12:40:55 www postfix/smtpd[21129]: warning: SASL authentication
> failure: Password verification failed
>
>  I am able to do a sasldblistusers2 and see all the entries in the
> file, so I know that they are there, and I believe that postfix is
> hitting the correct file because the error changed as soon as I
> changed the database's group to the same as postfix and gave it read
> access.

When you added your user did you specify what domain he has  ? (-u
<dom>) . If not, please consider trying to add an user with a domain
attached. If you have only one domain you could also set the postfix
option:

smtpd_sasl_local_domain = <yourdomainhere>
in main.cf
If you have multiple domains you should specify:
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = <empty>
in main.cf
But then you need to authenticate as remko at evilcoder.org (in my case)

Perhaps this helps a bit ? :-)

> *sigh*,,, I feel like I am so close, but just can't find the correct
> switch to throw. Thanks so much for  your help with this!!

Well i had lots of troubles with Sasl when i started, (on OpenBSD) and
now i have it running ;)

> Tim, the hopelessly new. :-)

You are not hopeless, you will get there :)

--
Kind regards,

Remko Lodder                   |remko at elvandar.org
Reporter DSINet                |remko at dsinet.org