upgrading form 4.2 to 5.x

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Sat Jul 17 14:14:50 PDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:50:13 +0200
Remko Lodder <remko at elvandar.org> wrote:

> Brent Bailey wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > My company has been asked to help with the upgrade of several Freebsd
> > systems that are pretty old. The customer is running a file server
> > samba also running apache running FBSD 4.2,  he wants to upgrade using
> > cvsup & the make buildworld procedure to upgrade to 5.x. Im very
> > familier with the make buildworld procedure however there have been
> > significant changes between 4.2 & 5.x  so is this something that can be
> > done without many problems ?

hello brent,

though i don't know anyone who has gone this route, i imagine it is
possible.  the reason most people don't cvsup from 4.x to 5.x is because
there is a fundamental change in the filesystem (details of which escape me
now - check the release notes at freebsd.org).  by simply cvsupping, you
will _not_ be able to take advantage of the new filesystem.

if your customer insists upon 5.x, it would probably be best to prepare a
full back-up then:

a) take the machine down, make a fresh install of 5.x, then load back data.

b) build and configure a parallel 5.x machine, load it with the backed-up
data, then find a new use for the 4.x series machine.

hth.

cheers,
epi