adsl bittorrent speeds troubleshooting

DrVince drvince at anonymnet.net
Sat Jul 17 08:57:06 PDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:33:21 +1000 (EST), eodyna wrote
> hi guys,
>
> Im a newbie with this, im having trouble with my
> download speeds with my adsl modem, and i just wanted
> to elimanate that the problem isn't my computers
> configuration. This is my first time with adsl so im
> not 100% that the configuration is correct.

You can do some packet prioritization, especially for ACK.  Try those links,
they explain much:

Using pf: http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html
Using IPFW: http://www.topfx.com/prioritizingackfreebsd.shtml

In my tests, downloading a file from the web space my ISP gives me, I found
that it helps a lot.  Using bittorrent, it did not change much.  As always,
with those kind of sharing, I think the main problem is leechers.

DrVince
DrVince at anonymnet.net