Root fs full -> free space always below 0

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Jul 17 07:36:53 PDT 2004

Hello,

so during a portupgrade on my laptop the root fs, with soft updates enabled,
became full. So I removed a bunch of stuff to make a few gigs available. I
checked and df reported more than a gig of free space - so I re-ran
portupgrade.

Then I noticed it was full again, with df showing a negative amount of free
space.

I removed even more stuff, and rebooted just incase there were more blocks to
be freed.

After the reboot df showed a negative amount of space again. So I removed even
more data (rm -rf /usr/ports/distfiles) and now I had 115 meg free df
claimed. I then re-ran df in quick succession a few times and watched
diskspace rapidly decrease to a negative 600 meg or so (note: the decrease
was perhaps 150 meg/second, so it cannot have been a process writing data to
disk in the background).

After a couple more reboots and a manual fsck in single user mode I still have
the same problem (on both CURRENT and 5.2.1-RELEASE kernels).

What to do?

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org