Problem with xorgcfg

Adrian Waters awaters at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Jul 17 06:40:12 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 11:21  PM, José de Paula wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:14:16 +1000, Adrian Waters
> <awaters at labyrinth.net.au> wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I've just upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg (fresh install of 5.2.1R-p9),
>> and it seems to be working okay, except when I try to run xorgcfg in
>> order to tweak the monitor it fails with "Can't create rules
>> structure".  It doesn't tell me what, where, or why, and I don't seem
>> to be able to find anything about it in my searching.  "xorgcfg
>> -textmode" works, but as I'm trying to run xorgcfg in order to tweak
>> my
>> monitor Modelines I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice for
>> fixing this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Adrian.
>
> To tweak modelines, did you try xvidtune? It is handy to do that, and
> can apply your changes as you make them; when you are satisfied with
> the results, just copy the modeline it gives you and paste in your
> xorg.conf.

Hello, and sorry for the late reply.

I've done as suggested and used xvidtune. I remembered it not long
after I posted, and it's got my ModeLines all up and running the way I
like them.  I'm still wondering what happened to break xorgcfg, and
what else might have broken as xorgcfg worked fine on another system
that had Xorg-from-scratch rather than Xorg-from-XFree86, but all seems
okay for now.

Thanks for your help,

Adrian.