upgrading form 4.2 to 5.x

Brent Bailey mrb at bmyster.com
Sat Jul 17 05:40:05 PDT 2004

Hello,
My company has been asked to help with the upgrade of several Freebsd
systems that are pretty old. The customer is running a file server samba
also running apache running FBSD 4.2,  he wants to upgrade using cvsup &
the make buildworld procedure to upgrade to 5.x. Im very familier with the
make buildworld procedure however there have been significant changes
between 4.2 & 5.x  so is this something that can be done without many
problems ? Aside from reading throught the /usr/src/UPDATING file are
there things i should look out for being that the 2 versions are so
differrent.

personally i would recommend going to the lastest stable release 4.10-p2

I welcome this lists thoughts & opions on this matter

thank in advance for any help :-)
--
Brent Bailey CCNA
Bmyster LLC