First time CUPS user, config problems?

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Sat Jul 17 03:06:09 PDT 2004

Eric Crist wrote:
> On Saturday 17 July 2004 03:17, Peter Risdon wrote:
>
>>Cups installs /usr/local/bin/lp and /usr/local/bin/lpr and leaves
>>/usr/bin/lp and /usr/bin/lpr in place. Back these up, symlink the cups
>>versions into their places and try again.
>>
>>If you want to verify you have a properly running Cups before you do
>>this, use the web interface (http://localhost:631) to print a test page.
>>It ought to work.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Peter.
>

> Hey Peter,
>
> I tried the web interface, and that's what's not printing test pages.  Do I
> need to move these execs before I try to print a test page?

Not so good - I generally find this works even when the /usr/bin
binaries are still there.

> Also, CUPS seems to have munged up my other printer installations pretty
> badly, and I don't know what to do to get them back.

Probably because it overwrites /etc/printcap

  I guess I'd rather get
> CUPS working right anyways.

Have you tried testing cups by using the cups binaries on the command
line specifying the full path?

#/usr/local/bin/lpr /etc/hosts

should print. If it doesn't, you might get a useful error message.

Peter.