need help with UTF-8 !

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jul 16 12:39:19 PDT 2004

Sebastian Kutsch wrote:
> My primary goal is to use filenames with none ASCII-characters like
> german umlauts or kyrillic-characters.

You might want to use a Mac and it's HFS+ filesystem instead: that platform
handles foreign-language filenames significantly better than I've seen any
Unix using UFS do.

> I have installed the utf8local port, set the environment variable
> "LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8" in ~/.login for each user (including root) and
> use the sysconsolefont "iso15-8x16".
> This works fine for german umlauts when using the console only. But I
> get problems when using somthing like samba or rox-filer. I think they
> use libiconv, because using iconve to encode none-ASCII-characters from
> ISO_8859-15 to UTF-8 on the console I get the same glibberish as using
> samba (with a samba client like xsmbrows or windows) or konqueror or
> rox-filer...

Dunno.  How does Samba handle the mapping for Windows-style case-insensitive
filenames when using foreign language codesets?  I suspect there are going to
be some pretty wacky issues there.  The notion that there are capital letters
which don't have a lowercase letter has broken an entire generation of tr
scripts, for example.  :-)

--
-Chuck