miibus.ko if_aue.ko crash

Tomoki Taniguchi tomoki.taniguchi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 22:46:20 PDT 2004

  I recently installed FreeBSD 4.9 to an old laptop I came by.  It is
a Sharp Mebius PC-PJ1-U23.  Basic hardware information can be found
here http://www.egota.org/MebiusNotePJ.html.  I am using a D-Link
DSB-650TX USB ethernet.  it uses the if_aue.ko driver.
  The generic kernel on the FreeBSD 4.9 install disc works fine.  I
update the source and build and install using the GENERIC kernel conf
file.  When I reboot  the kernel panics and crashes.

<SNIP>
module_register: module miibus/ukphy already exists!
linker_file_sysinit "miibus.ko" failed to register! 17
</SNIP>

When I unplug the usb and reboot the kernel works fine.  Once it is
fully booted, I plug the usb ethernet back in and I get.

<SNIP>
aue0: D-Link Corp. DSB-650TX USB Ethernet, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2
aue0: Ethernet address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
miibux0: <MII bus> on aue0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
</SNIP>

The system doesn't crash but when I  run ifconfig it is obvious
something is wrong

<SNIP>
aue0: flags=8802(BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST) mtu 1500
           tunnel inet  -->
           ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
           status: active
           vlan: 0 parent interface: <none>
           ssid ""
           stationname ""
           channel 0 authmode NONE powersavemode OFF
           wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
</SNIP>

Then at this point if I run "dhclient aue0", the system crashes giving
me the same errors as when I boot the system with the usb ethernet
plugged in.

Does anyone know what would be causing this and how I can fix the issue?

TIA,
Tomoki Taniguchi