FreeBSD beginner (NetBSD advanced).

Julien Gabel julien.gabel at thilelli.net
Thu Jul 15 14:25:54 PDT 2004

>> 2) can i compile kernel with -march=pentium,pentium[234] -O2
>> optimization? in NetBSD 2.0 doing -march=pentium produces
>> kernel that doesn't boot at all, just resets.

2.0 is always under develpoment and not yet released. I don't see the
problem with 1.6.2.

>> 4) is IPv6 working well? (i mean no crashes etc...) i will
>> get real IPv6 zone allocation soon and want to use it.

> AFAIK, it works perfectly.

Aren't FreeBSD and NetBSD using the same IPv6 stack from the KAME project?

>> 5) what is used in FreeBSD for traffic management. NetBSD has altq -
>> please just give me a name i will RTFM.

You can use dummynet with ipfw. Altq is being integrated in the -CURRENT
branch of FreeBSD (along with pf).

>> 7) does FreeBSD support 2 CPUs on i386?

> Yes, it does.  It even supports the Pentium 4 HT processors.

Yes, but there still some strange report from 'top' on MP systems as in :
 - Problem Report bin/30310 ;
 - Problem Report bin/60385.

--
-jpeg.